Berry Season!2009 Jul 6
Berry season has started with a bang! Today I walked in the woods near our house and at St. Edward St Park and ate more kinds of wild berries in one day than I can ever remember.
- The Salmonberries are just past their peak, but they are sweeter this year than most.
- Indian plum (aka osoberry - hangs sparsely on a tree). I didn't know what it was, so I only ate a few, but I will have more later.
- Two kinds of blackberries:
- a trailing vine blackberry with small, long fruit
- a bushy kind with small fruit that I hadn't seen before
- The red huckleberries are already fantastic this year: profuse and sweet.
- Thimbleberries are still very early, but I found a large stand with some ripe ones. They are like eating a jam!
From our front yard I had:
- The last of our seasonal strawberries.
- Some of our (small) ever-bearing strawberries.
There are more berries yet to come are:
- The common, aggressive blackberries around here. (They are only in flower now, so there is no fruit yet.)
- Salal - also only in flower
- Oregon grape
This year I am thinking to make juice or jam from those last two.